Today’s word of the day is ‘Ambivalent.’ Let us understand more about this word.
ambivalent [ am-biv–uh-luh nt ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., it adds more information about the noun or sentence.
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Ubhayabhaavee
2. Spanish – Ambivalente
3. French – Ambivalent
4. Mandarin – Máodùn de
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. Let us recall that in our earlier discussion we took note of the ambivalent character of love.
2. Thus we find again that taboo has grown out of the soil of an ambivalent emotional attitude.
3. Let us suppose the subject has ambivalent feelings toward his father.
4. Frank was ambivalent about his breakup with Jane.
5. Josie was anxious to have a baby but her husband Fred was ambivalent about having children.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
contradictory, doubtful, hesitant, uncertain, undecided, debatable, fluctuating, irresolute, opposed, vacillating, warring, wavering, etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
certain, clear, decided, definite, determined, secure, settled, sure, undoubted, unquestionable
Golf has an ambivalent relationship with the environment. On one hand, it’s a great preserver of open spaces. Golf doesn’t pave the world – it helps to green the world. But the downside is, it uses a lot of fertilizer, pesticides and water.
id you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!
Get notified as soon as new "Word of the day is published"