Today’s word of the day is ‘Curtail.’ Let us understand more about this word.
curtail [ ker-teyl ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is a verb, i.e., it demonstrates an action or an occurrence.
1. Cut short
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Ghataana
2. Spanish – Acortar
3. French – Réduire
4. Mandarin – Suōjiǎn
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. I would not wish for a moment to curtail the holy rights of wimmen.
2. To curtail the activities in one is not necessarily a favor to the other.
3. We have lost five days here, and I shall be compelled to curtail my journey.
4. I have no wish, even if I had the right, to curtail your freedom.
5. Having made this present, I had to curtail some of the festivities.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
cut back, decrease, diminish, downsize, halt, lessen, reduce, shorten, slash, trim, abbreviate, chop, clip, contract, cramp, cut, dock, lop, minify, retrench, truncate etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
develop, enlarge, expand, extend, grow, increase, lengthen, raise, strengthen, amplify, stretch, prolong
We should seek to love our lives and live fully, but not to extend them indefinitely. Also We should love our children exuberantly, but not cling to them or curtail their freedoms and should treasure the material world without seeking to own and control it.
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!
Get notified as soon as new "Word of the day is published"