Today’s word of the day is ‘Deadpan‘. Let us understand more about this word.
Deadpan [ ded-pan ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., describes the subject of the sentence.
Does the word have a past tense? What is it?
2. In a deadpan manner
4. Say something amusing while affecting a serious manner (Verb)
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi- Bhaavashoony
2. Spanish – Rostro sin expresión
3. French – Figée (feminine) and figé (masculine)
4. Mandarin – Wúliáo
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. Lauren delivered her monologue in a deadpan voice.
2. Suzanne looked closely at him—he was so deadpan, it was hard to tell what was on his mind.
3. She continued to stare, deadpan, and blank-eyed, with no answering flicker of a smile.
4. “‘That’s all right then,’ Claire said, deadpan.”
5. ‘I’m an undercover dentist,’ he dead-panned.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
Blank, expressionless, unexpressive, inexpressive, impassive, inscrutable, poker-faced, straight-faced, dispassionate, unresponsive, stony, wooden, empty, vacant, glazed, fixed, lifeless, nobody home, unreadable, etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
Expressive, comical, warm, etc.
I’m not a confrontational person or comedian. I think we can explore more things if one of us is not fighting with the other. I take it easy. But I do like comedians who are very different from myself: I love dry comics with deadpan one-liners. I look on and think, ‘That’s amazing; why didn’t I think of that?’
I was doing so well at Jeopardy—yelling out all correct answers and my dad, rather than be impressed, looked at me deadpan and said, “You have to do like it is a question. You are disqualified.” https://t.co/Lanl9Dcmxo
— Khalid El Khatib (@kmelkhat) November 18, 2020
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now! Click here to read.