Today’s word of the day is ‘Fragment.’ Let us understand more about this word.
fragment [ frag-muh nt ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is a noun, i.e., it is the main subject of a sentence.
3. Break into pieces
4. Come apart
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Tukada
2. Spanish – Fragmento
3. French – Fragment
4. Mandarin – Fēn duàn
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. The stone-breaker, who had not broken a fragment since we began to converse, then did as follows.
2. It was as if men had been able to preserve a fragment of a sunset.
3. I beg your pardon, my dear “Clarinda,” for the fragment scrawl I sent you yesterday.
4. But these were only a fragment of those that visit the Post in summer.
5. The genuineness of this fragment has been established beyond doubt.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
disintegrate, splinter, burst, crumble, disunite, divide, rend, rive, shatter, shiver, smash, split etc
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
combine, fix, join, mend, unite, complete, total
In its primary aspect, a painting has no more spiritual message than an exquisite fragment of Venetian glass. The channels by which all noble and imaginative work in painting should touch the soul are not those of the truths of lives.
Professor Deborah Vischak’s approach to art history is influenced by her training as an archaeologist — as is her belief that the smallest fragment of pottery can and should be analyzed with the same care as the most elaborate painted tomb.
— Princeton Alumni Weekly (@pawprinceton) October 7, 2020
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!