Today’s word of the day is ‘Furtive.’ Let us understand more about this word.
furtive [ fur-tiv ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., it adds more information about the noun or sentence.
3. Under wraps
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Gupchup
2. Spanish – Furtivo
3. French – Furtif
4. Mandarin – Guǐ guǐsuì suì
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. How noisy and romping the brook was; how capricious, how playful, how furtive!
2. He collided with the girl who, with a furtive gesture, slipped something into her muff.
3. One or two were pale, and their eyes wore a furtive, frightened look.
4. He was endeavoring to fix and hold those dark, furtive eyes.
5. The pink plump face was contorted in a furtive grimace of deprecation.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
clandestine, conspiratorial, covert, surreptitious, artful, calculating, cautious, circumspect, cloaked, crafty, creepy, cunning, disguised, elusive, evasive, foxy, guileful, hidden, hush-hush, insidious, masked, scheming, shifty, skulking, slinking, sly, stealthy, sub-rosa, tricky, under wraps, under-the-table, undercover, underhand, underhanded, wily etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
aboveboard, honest, open, forthright, truthful
We don’t want anything from the government but that furtive little fellow called the truth – which, by the way, they’ll never give you – which you have to go out and find by talking to people.
R.W.R. McDonald is no stranger to mysteries, but when it comes to HarryCat, no amount of deduction, research, or investigation will help. Find out what’s behind this furtive feline’s disappearing (and reappearing) act in R.W.R. McDonald and the Mystery of Photobombing Cat pic.twitter.com/7P1AxvR0oF
— Readings (@ReadingsBooks) September 4, 2020
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!
Get notified as soon as new "Word of the day is published"