Today’s word of the day is ‘Gaunt‘ Let us understand more about this word.
Gaunt [ gawnt ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., it adds more information about the noun or sentence.
Does the word have a past tense? What is it?
No, the word is an adjective. Therefore, it does not have a past form.
2. Extremely thin and bonny
3. Haggard and drawn
4. Skin and bones
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Durbal
2. Spanish – Demacrado(masculine); demacrada(feminine)
3. French – Décharné(masculine); Décharnée(feminine)
4. Mandarin – Ga
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. The Seneschal stood with blanched face and gaping mouth, his fire all turned to ashes before the passion of this gaunt man.
2. A gaunt, hard-featured domestic completed this interesting family, and she was uncommon too.
3. He was tall and gaunt, with an unnaturally white face and a mass of hair almost as white in colour, though not from age.
4. The gaunt outline followed them; each time he looked back the shadow cast was closer than before, almost upon their heels.
5. The gaunt creature rose and placed the basket on the table before Mrs Rushmere.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
angular, anorexic, bleak, emaciated, forlorn, grim, thin, attenuated, bare, bony, cadaverous, desolate, dismal, dreary, forbidding, haggard, harsh, lank, lean, peaky, pinched, rawboned, scraggy, scrawny, skeletal, skeleton, spare, wasted
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
bright, cheerful, fat, happy, heavy, hopeful, joyful, sunny, thick, plump, well-nourished etc.
They had both noticed that a life of dissipation sometimes gave to a face the look of gaunt suffering spirituality that a life of asceticism was supposed to give and quite often did not.Katherine Anne Porter
Familiar dark eyes examined her with deep concern. And then she noticed his gaunt features, the scruff of beard on his chin. Dear Lord! What had happened to him? https://t.co/lDK5F8a5T4
— Jackie (@wackyjackyful) February 7, 2021