Total number of letters in alphabet are:
English language has a total of 26 letters in alphabet, here they are: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and finally Z.
|Position||Capital||Small||NATO Code||MORSE CODE|
|2||B||b||Bravo||− · · ·|
|3||C||c||Charlie||− · − ·|
|4||D||d||Delta||− · ·|
|6||F||f||Foxtrot||· · − ·|
|8||H||h||Hotel||· · · ·|
|10||J||j||Juliett||· − − −|
|11||K||k||Kilo||− · −|
|12||L||l||Lima||· − · ·|
|15||O||o||Oscar||− − −|
|16||P||p||Papa||· − − ·|
|17||Q||q||Quebec||− − · −|
|18||R||r||Romeo||· − ·|
|19||S||s||Sierra||· · ·|
|21||U||u||Uniform||· · −|
|22||V||v||Victor||· · · −|
|23||W||w||Whiskey||· − −|
|24||X||x||X-ray||− · · −|
|25||Y||y||Yankee||− · − −|
|26||Z||z||Zulu||− − · ·|
There are a total of 26 letters in modern English Alphabet. They are A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z.
In latin, during the year 1011, there were supposed to be 27 letters in alphabets, where the 27th letter was ampersand “&”
Spanish language also uses the latin script and has 27 letters. These 27 letters are A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, Ñ, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
Here is a list of 10 interesting facts about English Alphabet
- Did you know the origin of a few English letters could be traced as further back as 1050 BC. Originally, the English alphabet come from Latin, however the first two letters a and b comes from the greek letters alpha and beta. Alpha and beta however is derived from the Phoenician aleph and bet.
- Although English has 26 different alphabets but they represent more than 40 different sounds. As we have more sounds than we have the alphabets, many letters have different pronunciations based on the words it is being used at, for example, J in Jose sounds different than J in Jack.
- Most frequently occurring letter in English language is E, coincidentally English itself starts with an E.
- Least occurring English letter is Z.
- The letter “i” has a dot over it and its called title.
- In English alphabets, each letter has two versions, namely majuscule (major) and minuscule version. This method of writing is from the 10th century derived from Carolingian minuscule
- 23 main letters that are borrowed from Roman alphabet are not just used in English, in fact they are used in about a 100 other languages. Thus, making it the most common alphabets in the world.
- The most frequently used word in English language is the word THE itself.
- Pangram is a sentence that uses all the 26 alphabet in English language. Here is one of the shortest pangram example, “Glib jocks quiz nymph to vex dwarf.” (28 letters).
- The longest word in English dictionary is Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, it means a lung disease caused by inhaling fine silica particles during a volcanic eruption.
Lesser known facts about letters in the alphabet
In the year 1011, a monk named Byrhtferð recorded a total of 23 English letters, when & ⁊ Ƿ Þ Ð Æ the six letters from old English Alphabets were dropped. In modern English alphabet system, three more letters were added to the original 23, taking the final count to 26 letters.
If you learned something new, we urge you to spread the knowledge by sharing this article on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or any of your favourite social network.
Go over these two articles with 26 different idioms and words representing each letter in English alphabet.