Today’s word of the day is ‘Obnoxious‘ Let us understand more about this word.
Obnoxious [ uhb-nok-shuhs ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., it adds more information about the noun or sentence.
Does the word have a past tense? What is it?
No, the word is an adjective. Therefore, it does not have a past form.
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Apriy
2. Spanish – Desagradable
3. French – Odieux(masculine); Odieuse(feminine)
4. Mandarin – Lìng rén tǎoyàn de
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. Stephen, as the head of the Christian community, was especially obnoxious to heathen rage.
2. He stormed and wheedled, threatened, and bribed; the obnoxious instrument was constantly brandished before his eyes.
3. We then made ourselves horribly obnoxious with our machine guns, and opened them by arrangement.
4. These obnoxious practices seem to have been carried to a particularly distasteful length on the borders of Wales.
5. On the next Sunday his voice, when reading the obnoxious prayers, was drowned by a clattering of arms.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
hateful, loathsome, nasty, objectionable, reprehensible, rotten, unpleasant, abominable, awful, detestable, disagreeable, dislikable, displeasing, foul, gross, hateable, heel, horrid, insufferable, invidious, mean, nauseating, odious, ornery, pesky, pestiferous, repellent, repugnant, revolting, sickening, stinking, etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
agreeable, decent, friendly, good, great, kind, lovable, moral, nice, pleasant, pleasing, welcome, wonderful, delightful, soft, etc.
Women are problem solvers, and often we don’t get much credit for that because the typical image of a leader is someone who’s loud, obnoxious, chest-pounding. That’s not my vision of what true leadership is.
Schefter tweeting picks ten seconds before ESPN airs them is really obnoxious. It also hurts the TV product. The fun of the draft is the mystery of the selection. Seeing who is selected on your phone right before it actually is presented on TV is lame and reeks of “look at me.”
— Josh Yohe (@JoshYohe_PGH) April 30, 2021