Today’s word of the day is ‘Oppress.’ Let us understand more about this word.
oppress [ uh–pres ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is a verb, i.e., it demonstrates an action or an occurrence.
3. Keep down
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Atyaachaar karana
2. Spanish – Oprimir
3. French – Opprimer
4. Mandarin – Yāpò
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. I think that in those days there was a good deal to oppress Peter Blood.
2. And knowledge of her danger—he put it that way—began to oppress him.
3. How you oppress me, my dearest friend, with your politeness!
4. But I will not oppress you, my dearest friend, with further reflections of this sort.
5. White Fang knew the law well: to oppress the weak and obey the strong.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
afflict, annoy, harass, maltreat, overwhelm, persecute, subjugate, suppress, torment, torture, trample, vex, abuse, aggrieve, burden, crush, dishearten, dispirit, distress, encumber, force, handicap, harry, hound, outrage, overcome, overload, overpower, overthrow, plague, press, ride, rule, sadden, saddle, smother, strain, tax, trouble, worry, wrong, despotize etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
aid, assist, comfort, help, make happy, please, soothe, benefit, calm, compliment, delight, encourage, give in, inspirit, leave alone, let go, praise, release, surrender, yield, boost, gladden
I’m not quite sure precisely when social and political activism became a visible brand of my DNA, but it seems to me that I was born into it. It is hard to be born into the experience in the world of poverty and not develop some instinct for survival and resistance to those things that oppress you.
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!
Get notified as soon as new "Word of the day is published"