Today’s word of the day is ‘Paltry‘. Let us understand more about this word.
Paltry [ pawl-tree ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., it describes the noun in the sentence.
Does the word have a past tense? What is it?
4. Poor, worthless
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi- Tuchchh
2. Spanish – Miserable
3. French – Dérisoire
4. Mandarin – Wēibùzúdào de
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. Lugging a fellow up for a pitiful, paltry sum of twenty pounds!
2. It was a paltry consolation, perhaps, but it was the best that then occurred to me.
3. She would earn a paltry £33 more a month.
4. So paltry that the justices at Truro would not move against me.
5. Compared with amounts like this, what were the paltry sums he had been used to handle?
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word of the day are:
Big, consequential, happy, important, large, plenty, significant, substantial, sufficient, valuable, worthwhile, rich, wealthy, worthy, etc.
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action, and filled with noble risks, is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation.
Chicken wings are the dumbest dish ever conceived. Paltry scraps of tasteless white meat slathered in sugary sauces to give it any flavor at all. We’ve all been buffaloed.
— John Tuohy (@John_Tuohy) November 12, 2020
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now! Click here to read.