Today’s word of the day is ‘Repartee.’ Let us understand more about this word.
repartee [ rep-er-tee ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is a noun, i.e., it is the main subject of a sentence.
1. Pleasant conversation
How is the word ‘repartee‘ pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Haajir javaabee
2. Spanish – Réplicas agudas
3. French – Repartie
4. Mandarin – Dàibiǎo
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. He was quick at repartee, and his observations were gentle but pertinent.
2. Madcap banter and witty repartee were the way everyone conversed.
3. Yet he returned to earth long enough to indulge in a mild bit of repartee.
4. Egon laughed at his repartee, but the Chancellor heard neither.
5. The three ladies were in high spirits and prompt at repartee.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
banter, pleasantry, rejoinder, retort, sarcasm, wordplay, answer, badinage, comeback, humor, irony, persiflage, quip, raillery, reply, response, riposte, sally, satire, wit, witticism, wittiness, bon mot, etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
question, request, seriousness, argument, disagreement, fight, scrap, bickering, feud, quarrel, squabble, conflict, brawl, debate, animosity
If we ever established contact with intelligent life on another world, there would be barriers to communication. First, they would be many light years away, so signals would take many years to reach them: there would be no scope for quick repartee. There might be an IQ gap.
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!
Get notified as soon as new "Word of the day is published"