Today’s word of the day is ‘Reticent.’ Let us understand more about this word.
reticent [ ret–uh-suhnt ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., it adds more information about the noun or sentence.
3. Clammed up
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Maun rahane vaala
2. Spanish – Reticente
3. French – Réticent
4. Mandarin – Chénmòguǎyán
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. He was reticent of his own business, however much he wanted to pry into mine.
2. Sucatash sensed the fact that De Launay intended to be reticent.
3. She did not question him, however, but Rachel was not so reticent.
4. The man was a solemn, dignified, and reticent person, who had been groom to the late Bishop.
5. This reticent youth spoke only to Jenny, and to her alone he opened his mind.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
bashful, hesitant, mum, reserved, restrained, shy, silent, taciturn, close, dummied up, tight-lipped, uncommunicative, unforthcoming, unspeaking, uptight etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
communicative, confident, extroverted, outgoing, talkative, unreserved, unshy, forward, unrestrained
Maybe, instead of putting our standards on other people, we should be very reticent, apprehensive, and deliberate and methodical in choosing whom we choose to elevate in the eyes of the public as role models.
Stephen. A. Smith
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!
Get notified as soon as new "Word of the day is published"