Today’s word of the day is ‘Scorn.’ Let us understand more about this word.
scorn [ skawrn ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is a noun, i.e., it is the main subject of a sentence.
1. Contempt toward something
How is the word ‘Scorn‘ pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Ghin aana
2. Spanish – Desdén
3. French – Mépris
4. Mandarin – Qīngmiè
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. You have treated me with scorn, with contempt, like a little child, as though I did not exist!
2. His scorn was equally distributed over the whole field of his operations.
3. There was a note of scorn in her voice.
4. Your children won’t be the objects of scorn and ridicule.
5. In his very first independent play, he answered the scorners with scorn.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
derision, disdain, mockery, ridicule, sarcasm, sneer, contemptuousness, contumely, despisal, despite, disparagement, disregard, jeering, scoffing, slight, sport, taunting, teasing, despisement, scornfulness etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
flattery, praise, respect, compliment, approval, delight, pleasure
If you are Black or Brown, or a liberal or immigrant or Democrat, or a woman unwilling to quietly submit, then Ailes was the ultimate villain. You were the object of mockery and scorn – sometimes overt, often subtle. You were the thing to be gawked at, pawed at, jeered at, propositioned or feared.
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!
Get notified as soon as new "Word of the day is published"