Today’s word of the day is ‘Shifty.‘ Let us understand more about this word.
Shifty [shif-tee ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is an adjective, i.e., it adds more information about the noun or sentence.
Does the word have a past tense? What is it?
No, the word is an adjective. Therefore, it does not have a past form.
3. Evasive character
How is the word pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Kutil
2. Spanish – Sospechoso(masculine); Sospechosa(feminine)
3. French – Sournois
4. Mandarin – Yì biàn
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. Her eyes were shifty with the habit of fear and sunken with the weariness of crying.
2. He was watching Mahr keenly and fancied he detected a shifty glance at the mention of the name.
3. His eyes, a light blue, were shifty and piercing, eyes that had the look of a snake charming a bird.
4. The stranger drover followed the meagre, shirt-clad figure with shifty eyes; then he buried his face in his mug.
5. He took back the shifty, clever gleam, and replaced it with one of innocence.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
cagey, crafty, shrewd, slippery, sneaky, tricky, wily, collusive, conniving, contriving, crooked, cunning, devious, dishonest, dodging, duplicitous, elusive, equivocating, evasive, foxy, fraudulent, furtive, insidious, lying, mendacious, roguish, scheming, shady, shuffling, slick, slimy, sly, treacherous, untruthful etc
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
aboveboard, frank, honest, naive, forthright, trustworthy etc.
The thing about villains is most people play them with the shifty eyes and all that, whereas I play them as good guys. ‘Cos everyone thinks they’re a goodie, don’t they?
We do believe in the team, always 💯💪 just not the blatant shifty officiating that goes on against us! https://t.co/LxRQvNnw1T
— Sarahjh (@Sarahjh07983138) January 25, 2021
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now! Click here to read.