Today’s word of the day is ‘Yowl.’ Let us understand more about this word.
yowl [ youl ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is a noun, i.e., it is the main subject of a sentence.
1. Loud animate sound
2. A loud, protracted, and mournful cry of a dog
3. A howl
How is the word ‘Yowl‘ pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Chillaana
2. Spanish – Aullido
3. French – Hurler
4. Mandarin – Háojiào
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. With a yowl of surprise and fright, he tried to free himself from the mess.
2. He needed all his self-control to repress a yowl of pain and dismay.
3. A yowl of unendurable pain—spouting of blood—sickness—swooning—tumbling over—and death.
4. Suddenly there was a vicious click, and with a spit and a yowl, the lynx started as if to jump into the air.
5. Just like all tomcats, every once in a while he has to stretch his claws and yowl.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
bawl, bay, caterwaul, cry, holler, howl, mewl, scream, screech, squall, squeal, ululate, wail, whine, yell, yelp, yipe etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
laugh, giggle, hoot, snicker, tweet, silence, snort
The witches fly across the sky, the owls go; “Who? “.The black cats yowl and green ghosts howl,”Scary Halloween to you”!
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!
Get notified as soon as new "Word of the day is published"