Today’s word of the day is ‘Yowl.’ Let us understand more about this word.
yowl [ youl ]
What is this word’s grammar?
The word is a noun, i.e., it is the main subject of a sentence.
1. Loud animate sound
2. A loud, protracted, and mournful cry of a dog
3. A howl
How is the word ‘Yowl‘ pronounced in popular languages?
1. Hindi – Chillaana
2. Spanish – Aullido
3. French – Hurler
4. Mandarin – Háojiào
How to use this word in a sentence?
1. With a yowl of surprise and fright, he tried to free himself from the mess.
2. He needed all his self-control to repress a yowl of pain and dismay.
3. A yowl of unendurable pain—spouting of blood—sickness—swooning—tumbling over—and death.
4. Suddenly there was a vicious click, and with a spit and a yowl, the lynx started as if to jump into the air.
5. Just like all tomcats, every once in a while he has to stretch his claws and yowl.
What are some synonyms of the word of the day?
Some synonyms of the word are:
bawl, bay, caterwaul, cry, holler, howl, mewl, scream, screech, squall, squeal, ululate, wail, whine, yell, yelp, yipe etc.
What are some antonyms of the word of the day?
Some antonyms of the word are:
laugh, giggle, hoot, snicker, tweet, silence, snort
The witches fly across the sky, the owls go; “Who? “.The black cats yowl and green ghosts howl,”Scary Halloween to you”!
Did you miss out on reading this Word of the Day? Catch up now!